Our History

Christ Church, circa 1870

The original Christ Church Cataraqui stone church was consecrated on October 16th 1870. The building provided permanence for a congregation that had been worshiping in Cataraqui as far back as 1835 and which, at the time of confederation, had held worship services in the Cataraqui Town Hall. In 1875, the congregation began selling burial plots on land surrounding the church, in an effort to raise funds for a rector’s stipend. In 1889, Christ Church Cataraqui became an independent parish, installing its first rector, the Reverend A. W. Cooke. Prior to that time, the parish was an outreach of St. George’s Cathedral.

The original stone church experienced several structural changes throughout it's history. In 1877, to accommodate a growing congregation, the building was expanded to the west of the south entrance. The entrance tower, some eighty feet in height, was built at the same time. An organ and bell were purchased after the tower was built. In 1922, electricity was installed. In 1959 a church hall was excavated beneath the church. In December 1980, the church was badly damaged by fire; the vaulted ceiling and wood paneling on the interior walls were destroyed. The damage was soon repaired and the church was rededicated on March 25th 1981.

Christ Church, circa 1990

In the late 1990’s the congregation had outgrown the original church. The building was not fully accessible and there was little space for parking. At a visioning weekend, members of the congregation decided to retain the original church and build a second, multi-purpose building. The new building included a modern worship area and parish hall. Christ Church Parish Centre was dedicated on June 14th 2002 by Bishop Peter Mason, and consecrated on May 24th 2009 by Bishop George Bruce. The hall was named in honour of a committed parishioner, Mrs. Mae Gibson. 

Christ Church Parish Centre

Since 2010 our parish has been broadcasting Sunday morning worship at the Parish Centre. In 2020, before the COVID-related lockdowns and public health measures, our parish celebrated our 150th anniversary with a Sunday communion service in the tradition of the 1870's era "Church of England in Canada". In addition to the period costumes, liturgy and music, our parish performed 150 acts of service, donated gifts of $150 each to ten different local charities, and installed a church bell to mark the occasion. 

We look forward to another 150 years in the service of God. 

At the Annual Vestry Meeting of March 2023, the Vestry voted to direct the wardens to seek permission from the Bishop to pursue the sale of the property at 974 Sydenham Rd, which is the old stone church building that has been the home for our parish for that 150 years. We have now come together under one roof as a parish, with one worship service every Sunday morning at 10:30 am.